Thursday, July 7, 2016

GE1201 Homework #1

The first graph displays the relative size of the contributions of various fuel sources towards the world's total primary energy supply, as well as the change in size of the total supply, from 1971 to 2013.  It shows that while alternative, renewable energy sources such as biofuels, hydro and others have increased in prevalence in the past few decades, they continue to comprise a very small portion of the world's primary energy suppliers.  The main energy sources have been and continue to be oil and coal, with natural gas having seen a significant rise in use as well, perhaps due to the large financial windfalls recently associated with fracking practices, especially in the United States.  While alternative energy use has gone up from 1971 to 2013, overall energy consumption has increased so much that traditional fuel sources such as oil and coal have been used more and more as well.  The graph makes it abundantly clear that while alternative energy sources such as hydro, wind and solar have seen more fanfare in recent years, the world still has very far to go in its attempts to shift its energy reliance to cleaner sources.

The second graph shows countries' shares of world energy consumption along with their shares of world GDP and population, while the third graph compares countries' GNP per capita to energy consumption per capita.  The graphs indicate that some countries, notably the United States which accounted for 24% of the world energy consumption in 2002 despite being home to just 4.6% of the world's population in 2001, are responsible for a disproportionate amount of the world's energy use relative to the size of their populations.  The third graph seems to suggest that while there appears to be a correlation between economic prosperity (GNP per capita) and energy consumption, certain developed economies, such as Japan, have been able to keep their energy consumption relatively low.  Additionally, it can be interpreted from these graphs that developing countries such as Brazil, China and India (each of which are part of the BRICS emerging markets group) consume less energy per capita than their counterparts with greater per capita GNP.  However, it is important to note that while developing economies utilize less energy per capita, they also may be reliant upon less clean energy sources.  The below graph from the U.S. Energy Information Administration illustrates this point, as it shows that coal contributed to 69% of total energy consumption in China in the year 2011.  Overall,  as previously stated, each of the graphs indicate a need for the world to reevaluate its energy use and its reliance on unclean energy sources, particularly in developing countries.



After taking the carbon footprint quiz, my results were quite eye opening.  The website estimated that the greenhouse gas emissions for which I am currently responsible add up to 31 tons of CO2 per year, nearly six times the world average per person.  Part of my high total can be attributed to the fact that I have been lucky enough to have had the opportunity to take multiple long distance trips in the past year, but even so, the test made it clear that there is much and more that I can and should do to reduce my carbon footprint, despite the fact that I currently do not own a car.

For the second test, in which I attempted to calculate my carbon footprint based on how I predict I will be living 20 years from now, I placed myself back in my home state in New York with a three bedroom apartment as part of a four person household (assuming I end up married with two kids, which could end up being a somewhat grand assumption.  Only time will tell...).  In hoping that I end up in New York City and as part of my disdain for driving, I will not own a car.  However, given that my appetite for travel appears to be insatiable, I guessed that in a given year I will have taken 4 long flights and 4 short flights.  My overall results were a carbon footprint of 18 tons of CO2 per year, a significant decrease from my current figure.  This can mostly be attributed to my hope that I will be able to use more energy efficient lights and appliances and consume more organic foods.  However, this would require a more significant personal investment, especially in organic foods, which are comparatively more expensive.  I do not currently have the means to adopt all of these more energy efficient practices, but hopefully I will in 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment