I have been lucky to have traveled quite a bit in my life, and in some senses it has made me feel well prepared for this upcoming program in Brazil. I have spent time in Argentina, Chile and Ecuador on dialogue programs, co-op, and as part of my personal travels. However, these experiences were quite different from what Brazil promises to offer, especially in one crucial way: unlike in Brazil, I was able to go to those countries and communicate with people.
I have pretty extensive experience speaking Spanish, but next to none with Portuguese. I was able to have a somewhat coherent conversation with my taxi driver tonight after my flight landed using my Spanish, but even so, it immediately became clear that I am taking a big step outside my comfort zone. From what I have seen and heard, Brazilian culture possesses many of the same laid back, fun-loving and friendly characteristics as the other Latin American countries I have been to, but the language barrier presents a new challenge, a challenge that I am very much looking forward to in that it will force to step even further outside my comfort zone.
I don't know very much about Brazilian culture, but I know from my experience living in Ecuador for nearly 8 months last year that I find cultural immersion to be highly enriching. I have found that the best way to learn about and feel a part of a new place is to go out and walk without a particular destination in mind. I did this frequently in Quito, Ecuador to great effect. One of the most important concept that I am always mindful of when exploring a new place and culture is that it is not necessarily the destination that matters, and that the journey is what is most important. Sao Paulo is probably less of a walkable city than Quito because of its massive size, but even so, I look forward to learning more about the city by exploring it somewhat "aimlessly."
I suffer from a hopelessly incurable case of wanderlust, always searching for the next great adventure. I'm very much looking forward to embarking on that next adventure here in Sao Paulo!
No comments:
Post a Comment